Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Aftermath

I had stopped going to church even before the Divorce, as it dawned on me that I really wasn’t a Catholic or even Christian. I believed in God, and that was about the extent of it.

As a divorcee, I enjoyed dating and going to the Single’s Affairs around town. But after a couple of years of this, I decided to try Church one Sunday since the Social Whirl was not very satisfying and there was a Spiritual hunger. (I didn’t know that’s what it was) In January of 1973, I attended services at the Melodyland Christian Center, where they gave an "Altar Call", but I didn't respond. Then I tried the Santa Ana Church of Religious Science, but found it ‘blah’. I gave up on the idea of finding a different type of Single life through a church group and went back to the Singles Scene.

I became a regular at the Singles dances, where there were others who showed up regularly and I liked the security of knowing the people. I had met a nice man there and we became good friends, altho’ I also dated others occasionally. Another outlet was PWP,
(Parents without Partners). They held family activities (like Roller Skating) and I could take my children with me. Life was much smoother for me as a Single parent. I became much less uptight, and a kinder, more congenial Mother.

The mysterious Spiritual hunger continued and as 'luck' would have it I was invited to a Singles Bible Study at a local MegaChurch. I was agreeable because I thought I might meet nicer men there. After a few sessions of study with this group, I met the nicest guy of all - Jesus Christ, himself. The introduction began on Good Friday of the 1973 Lenten season and at the Easter Sunrise Service, I opened my heart and accepted Jesus as Savior and Lord of my Life.